Small Screen. Epic Scale.
Note: Ionage has been removed from the Google Play store until further notice.
Ionage is an epic space opera full of conquest, betrayal and plenty of thought-provoking real-time strategy – all played out in the palm of your hand!
“My next indie game to pimp is Ionage… really solid little project” – Mike Bithell, creator of the Bafta Award winning ‘Thomas Was Alone’, via Twitter.
You can download it right now, for free* on Google Play:
*The game contains IAPs but these are not required to play.
You are the leader of the Dakota – the last remaining tribe in the Sol System. After decades of fighting, the other tribes have all left the Earth, one by one, to seek out new riches among the stars. It now falls to you, as the new leader of the Dakota, to lead your tribe’s fleet of nomadic space platforms out into the galaxy to achieve greatness!
The Tribe Wars are over. Welcome to the Ion Age!
What’s special about it?
- Ionage is influenced by tower defence games but with a big difference: you and your enemy are equals, you’re not fighting a stream of unintelligent ‘creeps’. You are battling against an AI with the same weapons as you and who will react to your actions just like a human player
- Ionage is influenced by traditional PC RTS games but with the mechanics distilled down to a form perfect for gaming on the go. Games last 3-5 minutes typically and there is not a long drawn out phase of “base building” like in some RTS. In Ionage the action starts immediately and is more exciting because of it.
- Ionage’s standout selling point is its “Adaptive AI”. Months of development have gone into making an intelligent, reactive and most importantly, fun AI to play against who will keep you challenged from your first game until your last.
- Ionage has an impressive 40 level campaign that should take you between 8-12 hours to complete once through. However with secondary objectives and a hardcore mode for true fans to sink their teeth into, this is one part of the PC RTS experience that has not been compromised on.
You can find a more detailed description of the gameplay in the Detailed Gameplay Information section at the bottom of the page.
About the Developer
Ionage was made by indie game studio Twice Circled, based in Bristol, UK and run by its sole Director and Developer, Tim Wicksteed (26).
Find out more on the About page.
All of the images above are available in a handy image pack – download
Trailer – link
“I like my gaming a touch more cerebral than you standard side scroller and this does exactly that for me. Eases you in nicely with some warm up bouts then starts to chew at your ears as you try it keep pace. Enough of the boxing references. Nice graphics simple concept and easy to get the gist of. My kinda game.” - Spanner “Gadget Freak”
“Epic game highly recommended. Not enough games like this. Well done to the developer. I look forward to seeing more from him.” - A Ashford
History of Media
What is Ionage?
Ionage – How to play
Alpha 0.62 gameplay video 3
Alpha 0.62 gameplay video 2
Alpha 0.5 gameplay video 1
Alpha 0.63 screenshots
Alpha 0.5 screenshots
Alpha 0.3 screenshots
Alpha 0.2 screenshots
Pre Alpha 0.2 screenshots
Detailed Gameplay Information
There are three weapons in Ionage:
- Cannon – Your basic weapon of warfare, can fire diagonally, has medium damage, armour and range.
- Rocket Launcher – A powerful alternative to the Cannon, cannot fire diagonally, has high damage, armour and range.
- Laser – Defensive turret that shoots down enemy rockets fired from their Rocket Launchers. Low armour is vulnerable to Cannon fire.
These weapons act in a bit of a Rock < Paper < Scissor triangle. Cannon < Launcher < Laser < Cannon…
To make things even more interesting, the player gets access to Specialists as the game progresses. These are special units that can be dynamically deployed around your platform (and moved at any time) which give bonuses to the surrounding weapons.
Some of the Specialists:
- Engineer – Repairs surrounding weapons
- Physicist – Boosts damage of surrounding weapons
- Communicator – Allows Rocket Launchers to shoot around corners (so fun!)
As you progress through Ionage’s 40 level campaign you can unlock new Specialists and Upgrades for your weapons. However you can only equip a limited number at a time so lots of the strategy (especially in the late game) comes from choosing the right combination of Upgrades and Specialists to give you an advantage over your opponent.
The game takes place at some undisclosed point in the future when, with the Earth’s resources all but consumed, humanity has taken to the stars to seek out new riches across the galaxy. Of course, humanity hasn’t left the Earth in a single cohesive, peaceful society – that would be too simple. They have descended into a set of nomadic tribes who scavenge for and battle over the precious resources contained within the asteroids.
The player takes the role of the leader of the last remaining tribe on Earth, The Dakota. It’s your job to lead your tribe and its fleet of gun-bristling space platforms across the galaxy in search of new technology and conquest. The levels are connected by a branching starmap which is divided into 4 clusters, which group the levels together into chapters. Each chapter has a theme and a specific story that plays out as you progress through it.